[LN] Tonari no Seki no Moto Idol - Vol 1 - Chapter 3

Chapter 3 - Idol in Wonderland

I want to become obsessed with something.

This has been my main problem for as long as I can remember.

I'm an only child, and both my parents are busy at work. For a long time, I have wanted to fill my free time before my parents come home.

Homework is not enough to fill my time, so I do sports.

I went to the library.

I played board games with Fuyu-nee.

I even studied seriously like my parents wanted me to.

But I got bored halfway through.

Then I joined a band, tried to compose a song, but it wasn't enough. I tried drawing, but I didn't have the talent or enthusiasm to continue. And after a while I'll find the 'next' thing to try.

I don't know what's right for me.

When I was in junior high school, someone who became my friend because we played the same game asked me about my rank, and I lied as quickly as I could. Because unlike my friend, who is still exploring the game and keeping up with the events and updates, my rank hasn't changed at all since we used to have fun together.

It's true, I loved this game. I was lying. I just always had fun talking about it with my friends. So it didn't last long.

I liked it half-heartedly, and soon I couldn't keep up and threw it away on my own. The relationships that had been formed and expanded because of this activity became tenuous before I knew it, and everything became annoying.

I'm good at a lot of things, but superficially, so I don't have a single thing to talk about in my introduction.

That's why I wanted something real that could obsess me all the time.

And around that time, Fuyu-nee passed the idol audition and went to Tokyo to debut as a member of cider×cider.

In other words, I was in a hurry.

Fuyu-nee, who had been playing with me for a long time, found her own place and spread her wings. She was surrounded by many people, loved by many people, and seemed very happy.

So why am I always in the same place, I kept asking myself.

But it wasn't until junior high that I was able to repeat the cycle of trying something and getting tired of it over time.

Trying also requires persistence. If we keep trying, trying, trying, and in the end, we don't get what we're looking for, we'd probably be better off if we hadn't tried in the first place.

I should have redirected all this effort to admit that... I am indeed a person who can do many things, but only on the surface.

    "I can help you find something that will obsess you even if your whole life seems so boring."

However, the reason I shook Kasumi's hand back then was probably because there was a burning feeling of inexplicable desire for the 'real thing' in the corner of my mind.

    "I've been told many times that my life is great, so I'm confident."

Or maybe it's because I dream of being like Kasumi, not someone else?

    "Leave it to me!"

Or maybe both.

 

*** 

 

Today is the first day of Golden Week.

Me and Kasumi decided to go on an expedition.

    "So, for now, can you tell me what you are most interested in?"

    "…I don't have anything in particular right now."

    "Then I think I should start looking for something that interests you."

As part of my search for something to work on, the first thing we discussed was sorting out what I'm interested in, what I'm not interested in, and what I want to do in the future.

It seems that Kasumi is ready to face me solemnly.

    "Mmm. Do you want to go to the amusement park next weekend?"

    "Why?"

    "It's been a long time since I've been there."

Doesn't Kasumi just want to go out and have fun?

    "Just kidding, really. I think we can start with something that people really like. I'm sure you've tried most of the other creative things, and idols shine too much for you, right? So I think the next thing that is popular is amusement parks".

    "Hmm. I haven't had time to go to the amusement park because my parents are always busy, so I don't know much about it."

    "That's why. Isn't it good that it's worth trying from now on?"

    "Ah, I understand...!"

Amazing! This is really well thought out by her.

When I think about it myself, I naturally focus on what I like and what I can do, so I never see any other possibility for things that just need to be enjoyed and have actually been loved by many.

    "After all, all this time I've only been there for magazine or TV projects, so I think it can be a good exercise for me as well to enjoy it in a normal way! One stone for two birds!"

    "Ah..."

Really. If she went as part of a project, she could ride all the rides without waiting in line. And she'd have to worry about which headband to wear, which was normal for me, but I don't think she'd ever experienced it.

    "And since everyone will be busy playing, they won't pay attention to me, even if my disguise is simple. So, we can have fun without worrying about me being discovered!"

    "I didn't think there would be a day when I would have to rely on you so much."

    "Hey, that's rude. This is what you get when Miru-chan is serious, you know!"

Then be serious about your school life from the beginning.

    "I'll book you a ticket, okay?"

    "Alright. I will pay for the ticket later."

    "Okay! Anyway, do you know how to enjoy Disneyland at 120%?"

    "No, I don't know, but..."

Kasumi opened her mouth with a smug look on her face.

    "In that case, the 'Let's go to the amusement park' project has just started! Whoever makes the best preparations can definitely enjoy the atmosphere at Disney. First of all, think about what you will wear. Then, plan the order of the places we will explore there. We also need to find out where the best place is to watch the parade... Are you listening to me?"

    "I hear you. I just haven't been interested in an amusement park until now."

    "Fufu. You and I are destined to be in an alliance together. I hope you will come with me, like on a big ship!"

And. I would never tell her that her expression when she smiled happily was the most adorable.

 

After that, I got ready for the event, as Kasumi requested, who seemed to have finished her homework. The first step is to choose what to wear on the day of the competition. I carefully decided that I would wear a Mickey Mouse headband, so I ordered a monotonous black and white outfit from the online store.

Since I only believe in black and white shirts and jeans, Kasumi wanted to pick out clothes for me. But if we go to the mall together, it will be very conspicuous, so the only way is to buy from the online store.

    "What!? Who wants to wear torn pants like that?"

    "Ren-kun is the one who will wear them. This is the current fashion trend!"

Come to think of it, it's funny to see us in class, chatting and joking while choosing our clothes.

In addition to Kasumi choosing clothes for me, I also thought about coordinating clothes that would suit her. First, she will wear a black, white, and red dress that will look good on social media, such as a Mini Mouse dress.

But such a look certainly looks like she is shouting "I'm an idol, please look at me!" to the people around her.

So somehow, I convinced her to wear a white blouse and a black miniskirt. It was probably a normal girl fashion at Disney. I don't know the truth.

Next, I looked up the parade they were going to have this season and found out where it was.

I discovered that this time the parade is called "Dream of Truth" and has just started, and there will be a flash mob where we can dance with the characters.

So, under the supervision of Kasumi-sensei, a former professional dancer, we started a special rehearsal of the day to have fun with the characters there to the best of our ability.

    "Mou──! Are you watching TikTok?"

    "That's right! Because I've never danced before, and there's no way I can do it just by looking at you!"

I yelled and tried my best, but to be honest, I still doubted my dancing. I'll try to cheat on Kasumi that day and see what I can do.

Then we thought of ways to get around people recognizing Kasumi's face, made our own Disneyland map with each ride's wait time in mind, and finally the weekend came.

 

We woke up earlier than usual and now we are waiting at the entrance of Disneyland.

    "Huff... I feel like I've been doing nothing but trying to suppress your winking habits this week."

    "So now we have to throw away this reality and have fun at Disney!"

    "This is so refreshing, I love it. I like it a lot."

    "Hey, don't imitate Miru's habits!"

Even though you say that, we're always together, so it's no wonder I get so tired.

Also, because of Kasumi, I feel like I've heard the words "I really like you" a lot lately.

It's amazing to get used to being an idol.

I feel like I can never give anything to anyone else like she did.

    "Yosh, well, let's start with a review. First the ticket, okay. Fortunately, now we just have to use the app without having to hold the ticket paper, right?"

    "We just have to show this at the gate, right?"

    "Yep, that's right! And I already bought a headband at the station store, so it's perfect!"

Kasumi said proudly, shaking her cute-looking Mini Mouse headband.

She wears a mask and gloves that make her look like a mini mouse to protect her face from being recognized, so it's impossible for anyone to see her unless they're very close.

However, her extraordinary style always attracts the attention of those around her.

She looked at my monotonous clothes, which I am not used to wearing, from top to bottom, as if she was checking out the fashion on a TV show.

    "Huum, huum. I knew this would look cool."

    "...Oh."

Kasumi's words were so direct that I sometimes had trouble responding to them.

Besides, it would be better if she said it in her idol mode. But she said it casually instead, and that's why I assumed that it was so cunning.

    "Ren-kun, you think I'm just flattering you, right?"

    "Of course."

    "Why do you doubt it? I coordinated it, so of course you will look cool."

    "…Okay."

You're such a cunning creature to make such an adorable protest!

    "You're the one who looks good in your clothes."

    "Thank you. Hahaha. Your ears look red. You don't have to force yourself."

    "Hah...!"

When I tried to cover my ears with my hands, Kasumi giggled and opened her mouth.

    "I will definitely ask you to choose my clothes again later, although it is not to look normal or to prevent my identity from being revealed."

    "…Why?"

    "Because I want Ren-kun to praise me again for how good I look. Is there any other reason?"

    "That's why!"

Your sweet attitude is so cunning!!

 

Then we waited for the opening of Disneyland, chatting, showing our tickets at the entrance, and running to the most popular rides.

Then, without a break, we ate breakfast at the café we had pre-booked, boarded the rides with our tickets, secured a seat with a good view of the parade, and put down our mat while sitting down and resting for a while. Everything went perfectly.

There is still a while before the parade starts, so I can finally catch my breath.

So far, it's starting to feel like I'm competing with myself.

    "It's amazing... Disneyland atmosphere..."

    "Hey. But it's really tedious if we use our previous preparations."

    "But it's been a long time since I've been able to have fun like this."

    "Eh... Yayyy!"

Kasumi smiled as she gave me a joyful cheer.

    "Are you that happy?"

    "Of course, I am! To be honest, I am sorry that I caused you so much trouble, Ren-kun, and I feel very guilty about it. So, I'm happy that I can finally make a real contribution, and most importantly, I'm happy that you can have fun with me like this."

    "…What is it? If I didn't have fun, I wouldn't have taken it so seriously.

Besides, I have never been with a person who seriously wants to walk around with me.

    "…I'm the one who should thank you. Because it helps me find something to work on."

    "When you say it like that, it's like I'm the one who's always causing trouble."

    "That's right."

    "Do you think I'll just agree with you?"

Actually, if Kasumi was a selfish idol, I would have given up on her long ago. But because she shook my hand with a serious look back then, and because I knew about all her efforts, I was able to do my best as I am today.

    "That's right. We still have time before the parade starts."

    "Eh. Wouldn't they recognize me under these circumstances?"

    "It's okay. It's not something that idols post on their blogs, it's just memories for us."

    "I think so. Ah── it's my fault. I always associate it with idols."

    "Well, normal girls also think a lot about the photos they would post on social media. So, isn't that normal?"

    "You're really nice, you know."


Kasumi said it as if she wanted to agree and raised the camera of her phone.

    "In that case, I'll take a picture of us with the app, so let's get ready. Three, two, one... whoa!"

For a moment, a gust of wind blew, and Kasumi's fine hair hit me directly.

    "Hahaha! Hey look, I got a good picture."

    "Am I the only one who looks ugly here?"

Kasumi's eyes were wide open despite the strong wind, her bangs were intact, and I was half blinded by the attack of Kasumi's hair.

Hmm, can I complain?

    "Still, it's amazing. How did you get such iron-clad bangs?"

    "Preparation is the key to being an idol. I have to stay beautiful no matter what the circumstances."

    "...You are not an idol anymore, so it is okay to relax a little in your preparation."

    "I will correct my previous words. I mean, not just for idols, but for all women. It's our first date at Disney, I'm not going to let my bangs get in the way of our fun!"

Huh, didn't you just say something ridiculous?

First Disney date? Kasumi?? Sure, when we first met, she said something about a scandal, but... seriously?

And as it turns out, I'm not the only one who thinks this is a date.

    "I have to take it again, I also have to get a good picture of you, even if I don't post it on social media."

While I was thinking, Kasumi started to pick up her phone with a flat expression on her face.

The shutter clicked in an instant.

I looked back at the photo and saw myself with bright red ears and Kasumi with her slightly red cheeks.

    "Wait, that's it... Look Ren-kun, stand up!"

Kasumi said suddenly and stood up enthusiastically.

    "...Huh?"

    "The parade has already started! What do you think I taught Ren-kun to dance for!? To enjoy the parade by 180%, right!?"

Hasn't your purpose changed?

I was about to say, "I came here to find something to work on", but then I realized that Kasumi was more excited about it.

    "That's why it doesn't work."

I think our speed of dissolving into things is too different between me and Kasumi.

I don't want to explain everything in one word, but that's probably her talent in a way.

It's like when she said that if she focused on one person in front of her, she wouldn't lose focus even if tens of thousands of people called her name.

The talent to be so 'lost' in something that she couldn't see other things around her.

    "Okay. It's time to get serious."

Watch my brilliant parade dance, the result of hard training with a demon trainer named Miru Kasumi────!

    "...No, no, no."

I retreated in seconds. What the hell is that?

Seeing her dancing next to me made me very interested, her dancing seemed to speak for her that she was really enjoying her own moment.

Although her face shouldn't be visible because of her tightly closed mask, Kasumi started to attract more attention than the characters in the parade.

“Awesome!”, “Cool!”, “That seems fun!”, “Is this some kind of promotion?” and so on.

Surrounded by cheers, none of the nearby guests watched the parade anymore.

I quietly moved to the back row and looked at Kasumi who was surrounded by guests.

Well... Um... Could it be that I had formed an alliance with that amazing girl?

 

Then, after the parade was over, I immediately pulled Kasumi, who saw the applause of the people around her with a surprised face, and after reprimanding her for attracting people's attention, we lined up for the next ride, and when she saw the estimated waiting time, Kasumi's reaction was the best.

    "Eh~~!? We're going to wait that long!? Just for a moment of fun!?"

    "The excitement of this ride already includes the time it takes to get in line."

    "No, this is too much..."

    "No, this is normal. It is normal for ordinary people like me."

The time spent waiting in line while chatting with Kasumi, which somehow felt very memorable, went by quite quickly. Even though my legs are already feeling very stiff.

    "This is fun~~! But I might only be able to come here when Ren-kun is around."

    "Why?"

    "On the contrary, why not? The only reason I can enjoy the queue for a long time is because you are standing next to me."

    "~~~~~~"

Her seemingly innocent smile was a critical blow to my already tired brain.

Yes, tired and fascinated.

    "Yes, it's fun. At Disneyland."

    "Hey. This is my first private visit too, but it feels so good~~"

After watching the evening parade and buying some souvenirs, we took the train home.

We were lucky that there were two seats left when we boarded, so we could sit next to each other.

Kasumi still wears a disguise to prevent her face from being recognized. It was quite funny to see the people around us taking off their costumes one by one, while she, who didn't take them off, still looked the most conspicuous among the others.

    "So how about it? Are you going to try to keep it up?"

    "It's fun, but it doesn't look like I'm going to become addicted to it. Of course, I like Mickey Mouse, but I'm not going to be able to stand in line for two hours to see him a lot of times, and I've really been an indoor person from the beginning, so I thought I'd reach my physical and mental limit first."

And the parade also showed the limits of my abilities.

But I won't tell her.

    "Ahhh, I see. I understand very well because I myself prefer indoor activities. Once a month at the most is my limit. I'm even tired enough now."

Kasumi said that and then breathed a sigh of relief.

    "See. It's warm, right?"

As if to prove her point, she put her hand on my cheek. I was so nervous that my previous tiredness disappeared in an instant.

Her charming attitude in a cunning way is indeed effective in relieving fatigue.

    "But I learned a lot today! From now on, I will only focus on indoor things, things I have never tried before."

    "Ah, positive. I'm counting on you."

    "After so long, huh? You can always count on me, you know~"

    "Is that so~~."

It seems that it's still too difficult for me to find a good example.

I added that to my thoughts and felt the warmth of Kasumi's body slowly radiating into my body.

 

TL & ED: Retallia

 

Retallia

Part-Time Dreamer, Full-Time Romcom Enjoyer~

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post