[LN] Tonari no Seki no Moto Idol - Vol 1 - Chapter 5

Chapter 5 - Tidiness, Date and Destructive Power

It's been a week since we decided what our classes would do at the cultural festival later.

The cherry blossoms that had fallen all over the city were gradually turning into green leaves, and at the same time, Kasumi was beginning to fit in with her class.

No one from the other classes came to look at her anymore, and although she was still considered 'different' in the class, she had already begun to feel calm enough that people could talk to her if they needed to.

Kotono herself still feels awkward in front of her, but she seems to be getting used to it. And this is a good development, although it is very funny to see Kotono, who usually looks very calm, always being clumsy and awkward in front of Kasumi. So I hope she'll get used to it soon.

The problem with Kasumi's idol habits, like winking as a form of fan service, is not completely solved yet, but at least it is less than before. Or you could say that the friends in the class have started to tolerate it.

Thanks to all of this, when Kasumi expressed her wish to appear in one of the scenes in the movie during this week's class meeting, the friends in the class gave her a warm response.

After all, everyone would like to see a very beautiful girl in the movie we are going to make.

And it's a secret among us that Kasumi desperately pinched her own palms when she heard her classmates say that they really wanted her to be in the movie, and she felt very moved by their actions.

So, after our activity proposal was approved, our class got ready to make the movie.

 

***

 

    "Hello?"

    "Hello? Kashiwagi-kun, are you free?"

Kotono called me in the middle of the night to discuss the plot of the movie we were going to make. Kotono always called me when it was that late at night.

    "Yes, I'm free. What's going on?"

    "Well... I just wrote the script, but I feel stuck. I was wondering if you could help me."

    "You started writing it? Wow, that's amazing. Thank you."

    "No, that's because I wanted to do it in the first place."

She is too reliable. I know she's won awards in the past for writing books of human rights reports and essays, but I didn't know she could write screenplays... Well, her skills have always been amazing.

    "Well, in that case, since I am also a member of the festival committee, you can call me whenever you need me. Anyway, I'm not too busy."

    "Even if you say that, Kashiwagi-kun, you have been busy lately, right? Well, even so, I'll never worry about calling you late at night because I always thought you might be playing a game or something. Yeah, that's the only good thing about you."

    "Hey, that's rude. But I'm always free."

    "That's a lie. I know you checked out a lot of books from the library last week, like the 'How to Make a Movie' book, and you also look sleep deprived."

    "How did you know that?"

    "I also usually notice you reading it in class. And sometimes you fall asleep during class. I'm not the only one who will be worried if Kashiwagi-kun faints one day."

    "...Mn, Thank you."

I have a habit of staying up late at night to do some work, because I can make more progress and concentrate better at that time. I knew it would be hard the next day, but I couldn't stop.

I know there are many things I am still lacking, and I am willing to do anything to correct those deficiencies.

This habit should have stopped since I was in junior high school, but... it seems like it came back recently because I was excited to be able to make something good and appropriate for Kasumi.

I started experimenting with cameras when I was in junior high school. At that time, I was interested in making a movie after playing with Fuyu-nee, but since I only knew how to photograph the scenery around me, I couldn't realize the imagination I had in my mind, and eventually my interest in making a movie disappeared.

And before that, I used to talk about the camera with Fuyu-nee, hoping that one day I would be able to realize my past wish again, but I didn't expect to have the opportunity to realize it again so soon.

I tried hard to study it so that I would not bring people down with me because of my incompetence, but I found that it did not go well.

But apparently I'm not alone, Kotono seems to be worried about me, as she should be.

Even though we both can't break our bad habits, she shouldn't say that she's only worried about me. But perhaps it was because of her genuine concern that I, a monster with a wild spirit, was able to live to this day.

...Actually, I still can't get over that strange call from her.

    "So, umm. I think we have an idea for the story, right?"

    "Ah, yes. Basically, it is about the mystery in the school that starts when the protagonist, an ordinary high school student, receives a letter, right?"

And the title is "Classmates".

The story is about a protagonist who tries to solve a mystery that happens in class with the help of her classmates.

By the way, Kasumi is the one who plays the mysterious beautiful girl who appears at the end of the story and who holds the key to the mystery.

    "Yes, I am interested in the mystery. As for the content, I'm sure the Mystery Study Club will be able to help me with the script. I've only seen western movies so far, so I don't really understand the right comedic elements. "

    "Ah, I see. Kotono is indeed an Ojou-sama, right. But I can't imagine you watching Japanese anime or other movies that have comedic elements in them."

    "I'm offended when you say that."

    "Yes, I'm sorry. I'm just expressing my opinion here as a representative of the common people... In that case, why don't you try watching such a movie?"

    "...Eh?"

    "Well, there's a movie being aired. I've read the manga, so I know the story. And because of that, I can guarantee that the movie will definitely be interesting!"

Yep, that's right. It's better for her to see the movie right away than for me to explain it to her verbally.

Besides, although I like to watch movies by myself, sometimes I want to share my impressions of the movies I watch with someone.

And by the way, Kasumi will only go if the movie is not very popular, because she has to be careful that someone might recognize her if the theater is too crowded.

    "So, um. That means Kashiwagi-kun and I are going to see a movie together...?"

    "Ah. Mm, if you don't want to or you're busy, you can turn it down. I'm the kind of person who used to go to the movies alone."

    "Of course I'll come! I'll definitely go with you! I'll be angry if you go alone! I don't want you to know more about the movie than I do!"

She really wants to know about these things, right? Her position as a committee leader for 5 years is really not just for show.

    "Alright. I have to do my chores tomorrow after school, so just meet me at the school gate around 5 pm, okay?"

    "No problem. See you tomorrow."

    "Yosh, see you tomorrow."

The phone hung up.

It made me realize that it was already midnight, and I felt a little empty.

    "...I casually asked her to go together, isn't it an after-school date, right?"

An after-school date. Sounds nice.

My cheeks slowly warmed up. The reason why I was able to casually ask her was probably because my common sense was already a bit broken after being with Kasumi lately.

Now that I think about it, I'm really wondering why I was able to ask Kotono out so confidently.

    "No, no, no, it's for the sake of our class. It's not a date, it's a study session together..."

This mistake obviously happened because of Kasumi, who casually said that our sightseeing activity the other day was a date.

Don't be stupid, me!!

 

***

 

    "Kotono, did you wait long?"

    "You came early, Kashiwagi-kun."

    "No, I mean, hmm. Yes, it turns out that the work was finished early."

I was lying. My classmates, who saw me nervous all the time, told me to go home early.

And I can't tell them that I'm going to the cinema with the role-model student, class representative today, because they'll kill me if they know.

    "Well, let's go. From here, we will walk to the nearest train station and take the train two stops from there."

    "The location of our school is really strategic, isn't it?"

    "Yes, it is."

We walked along a street that was already familiar to us without talking about anything.

I've known Kotono for four years, but this is the first time we've walked together.

We had eaten together at a class party, but obviously we weren't just there by ourselves. When we talk, it's usually just over the phone, so it feels strange, like it's been a long time since Kotono was next to me.

Our height difference, which wasn't that big four years ago, has grown to the point where I can see Kotono's ponytail swaying back and forth from above.

    "Ugh, the weather is so hot."

    "Yes. How about we buy ice cream on the way and share it together?"

    "Good idea. Ah, is Kotono-sama allowed to snack freely?"

    "Please stop being annoying when it's just a matter of hot weather."

    "Haha. It's really getting colder for me because Kotono is so cold. Lucky for me~"

    "~~Mou, I'm gone!"

Kotono turned and walked away.

Her appearance has changed from four years ago, but the distance between us has actually remained the same.

    "That still makes me nostalgic. I remember when we were in junior high school, we used to walk together because the teacher would give us assignments.

    "Ah. Like when the teacher told us to do an assignment and Kotono got annoyed because the assignment was not that important. But the meat buns we ate at that time were very good."

    "Hey, I wasn't angry at that time. Since then, I've wanted to eat meat buns every winter."

    "Why do you say it like it's a sin? It's a good thing, you know."

    "Come to think of it, the reason I started eating junk food was because Kashiwagi-kun brought it as a snack between our duties, right? Could it be that my appetite changed because of your influence?"

    "Don't just accuse me like that. That's not true at all."

    "Fufufu. I'm just kidding anyway."

As we chatted and reminisced, the grocery store we were looking for was just around the corner.

We bought ice cream and then shared it, and it almost melted by the time we got to the train station.

I also tried to take a video of Kotono chewing her ice cream in a hurry. She looks so cute and looks like a squirrel, so I wanted to capture her, but she got mad at me because she felt I had done something disrespectful.

When we got to the theater, we showed our student IDs and bought two tickets at the student price. We also bought popcorn and chocolate drinks from the food counter there, and both of us held them with both of our hands, we really looked harmonious.

Usually, I'm the kind of person who just buys a drink or doesn't even bring anything while I'm watching. But,

    "Um, Kashiwagi-kun. Where should I get the popcorn? I want to try the caramel and the salty ones."

Kotono asked me with bright eyes, so I can't say that I don't usually buy it.

    "In that case, I will buy a salty flavored one, and you will buy a caramel flavored one. Anything else you want to eat?"

    "Honestly, well, I also want a chocolate drink that is sold there. But isn't it so crowded?"

    "It's okay, really. Then I'll buy it as well, and let's go have some fun. To celebrate our friendship."

    "What was that? Well, it's true that you're the only person I've known since junior high school who's still friends with me."

    "Really?"

    "Huh? Why not? Even you didn't know anyone from junior high school other than me."

    "Ugh, that's a critical hit, stop it!"

Fully prepared, we went to the theater. However, because our hands were full, we had a bit of a problem getting our tickets out to show the staff.

Then, for the first time in a long time, I heard the honorable class representative say in a panic, "What am I going to do, Kashiwagi-kun?", what an unexpected and precious moment.

Then we sat down in the chairs we had reserved. I grinned at Kotono, who looked very impressed with the popcorn she had finally been able to buy, and she was angry when she saw me. As the movie began, we stared intently at the screen while devouring the popcorn we'd brought with us. Finally, we left the theater sobbing.

 

    "The ending was really unexpected. It was the most moving school mystery movie I've ever seen. It turns out that the girl is a ghost who died 10 years ago..."

    "Really? I was so confused, even though I already knew the original story, that I had to keep paying attention and couldn't finish my popcorn."

    "Gosh... even though the popcorn is really delicious..."

    "At least let me have a moment of reflection for the movie first."

Kotono took my popcorn and chewed it while crying in the break area of the theater.

I know you like junk food, but, hey?

    "But I seem to have started to understand how to write an interesting movie script."

    "Really? Well, that's good."

    "I'll finish it in about two weeks. Thanks for bringing me here, Kashiwagi-kun."

    "I just want to watch the movie, so I didn't really do anything."

I also tried to concentrate on the shooting techniques in the movie, but because the level was too high, I couldn't gain any knowledge, so I felt bad about it. However, I was very excited after watching the movie, and I will start making a list of the interesting parts when I get home. So, after another thought, this is not a wasted trip.

    "In that case, let's hurry home after you finish the popcorn. Kotono, there is a curfew at your house, right?"

    "Yes. But I lied and said that I was still busy with the preparations for the festival at school today, so there is no need to be so hasty."

    "Oho, the class representative is lying, it's not good, you know~"

    "It's also Kashiwagi-kun's fault. I wouldn't be stupid enough to tell my parents about this date."

Date. Date... A date?

    "I-I'm just kidding anyway!"

Kotono's face also turned bright red, as if the words had slipped out of her mouth.

    "T-That's not what I meant. Well, it's my friend who said that when a boy and a girl go out together, it's called a date!"

    "Oh, yes. Even nowadays, two girls hanging out together could be called a date as well, right?"

    "That's right. It's just a term, so please don't get me wrong!"

And Kotono left about five grains of popcorn in her hand.

My heart started beating twice as fast as usual, and I wondered what kind of expression I was making next to her during the 400-meter walk to the station.

 

Side: Kotono Kuon

    "I'm home."

I muttered as I turned on the light in the dark entrance. It looks very empty. And there's always no answer.

The only thing that greeted me at home was the Fuyu-chan poster I hid in the closet.

I love idols. Because they are so far away from me.

No matter how much I admire them and want them, I can only love them one-sidedly.

I don't need to feel the empty hope that the other party and I can feel the same way about each other.

And I wish that Kashiwagi-kun was an idol.

I threw myself on the bed without taking off my school uniform, and I still felt intoxicated by the feelings that remained after that date.

Kashiwagi-kun might not think of this day as a date. He's probably already thrown away the piece of the movie ticket, but I'll keep it in my archives.

Kashiwagi-kun, who is always preoccupied with himself, will never fall in love with anyone.

And I know that this feeling won't work.

    "Meanwhile, he's very..."

When I first met him, I thought he was a strange person.

He's always looking for something, whatever it is, and he always seems to be on his own.

──────"I envy him", I thought.

The only thing I want to do is escape from this place, and I don't have enough time to think about what I want to do next.

I am just an honor student and the committee leader. That's me, more individualistic than anyone else.

But Kashiwagi-kun, only Kashiwagi-kun, is always willing to accompany me like this.

Even after entering high school and being surrounded by his friends, he still looked bored.

Like me, he still feels empty.

I feel good. I can only pray that we will be together forever and that I will always be by his side in the future.

    "Hello. Kashiwagi-kun, are you free right now?"

Kashiwagi-kun is very important to me, and calling him under the guise of free time, just to talk to him for an hour or so in the middle of the night, makes me feel sick of myself.

At LIME, I only saw conversation balloons of the same number and size, so the only way I could get in touch with him was through that phone call.  [TN: The point of having the same size and number of conversation balloons mean that they almost never chat on LIME, so yeah, the number and size of chats never change.]

I'm sure Kashiwagi never thought about that.

    "I just want to watch the movie, so I didn't really do anything."

    “…I love you.”

I spread my arms toward the ceiling, even though I couldn't possibly reach it.

Hey, I love this part of him.

The part where Kashiwagi-kun doesn't seem to realize that I like him at all.

How did he think I wouldn't misunderstand his kindness?

You don't know, do you? You don't know how nervous I was before I called you, or how I kept looking at your face and realizing that our time together was over.

But that's okay. You don't have to worry about it for the rest of your life.

So, I want you to promise me one thing.

In my life full of emptiness and rules, all I need is Kashiwagi-kun.

I curled up on my futon and closed my eyelids, imagining Kashiwagi-kun talking about the movie with sparkling eyes.

Don't let this change you.

─────Please, don't leave me.

 

TL & ED: Retallia

 

Retallia

Part-Time Dreamer, Full-Time Romcom Enjoyer~

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post